Monday, December 12, 2011

Puppy Chow!!!

So this is a Christmas favorite in our house.  I grew up with this every once in a while at Christmas and rediscovered it in high school.  And have made at least one to two batches every Christmas since.  I even stuck a batch of it in my suitcase and brought on the plane with me after Christmas break during college!  I introduced it to the in-law's and being the chocoholics they are it was gone in about half an hour!!! I have only known it to be called Puppy Chow, I'm not sure if there are any other names for it.  But if I didn't believe that food is for all and everyone should be able to make everything, this would totally be one of my "secret family recipie's"!  Its super easy and I tend to have all the ingredients except the cereal in my house at all times.



Puppy Chow
2 cups Chocolate Chips
1cup Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Margarine
1 box of Crispix (Chex works too)
1 bag or Icing Sugar


Melt Chocolate Chips, Peanut Butter, and Margarine together.  Microwave for 2 minutes mixing half way, and again at the end till smooth. Or do it on stove top, either way works.

 

 Pour Chocolate mixture over Crispix, make sure your bowl is big enough to accommodate mixing!

For this next step I used my Tupperware Thatsa Mega Bowl (with lid), but you can also do this in a large brown paper bag.  I have always done it in the bag and I think it mixes better, but I didn't have time to go looking for some this year.  Place just under half the bag of icing sugar in your bag or bowl, add in your chocolate cereal mix, and then sprinkle the top with more sugar.  Roll up top of bag or place lid on bowl. And shake shake shake! I find using the bag works a lot better because you can push the mix around inside and get more of the bigger clumps out, but if you just have a bowl then make sure you check for clumps.  Add the rest of the sugar if there is still some chocolate showing.
Note: Plastic bags are NOT a good alternative!!!

 The wonderful thing about this recipe is it fits in those ice cream buckets you have laying around, freeing up other bowls for more Christmas treats!


 This simple treat makes wonderful gifts! These cute little boxes will be filled with Puppy Chow and the centre piece of our staff treat tray gift this year!!

An awesome treat for the kiddos to help out with too!
Have fun and Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...